I’m in the second week of “can’t afford group classes or practice time” month and doing my best to stay busy so I don’t get hit with some major withdrawal symptoms. I’m usually at the studio three or four nights during the week for class and practice! So having only one night on the books kinda sucks. I’m anticipating July to be the same deal, not even sure I’ll manage the one class a week. We’ll cross that lousy bridge when we come to it. All for Florida and Ohio, that’s what I remind myself. So what does the Girl do when she can’t get her dance fix? I’ve come up with a list.
Things To Do When Not Dancing
- Other exercise. Remember I said I felt like I needed to start doing more outside of dancing to improve my stamina and flexibility? Something besides running? Well, true to my word, I have started swimming again! A friend comes over twice a week and we take advantage of my complex’s fitness center and pool. Would you believe I even used an elliptical machine for 20 minutes before swimming? I need to bring a book or something, I got really bored. But I did it and my legs felt like they worked, so I guess we’ll call that a success!
- Read. I have two books that I promised someone I would read and review. I’ve been slacking, but no more excuses! I could even sit out on my patio and read. Crazy.
- Write/work on website. Duh. Those who can’t dance write about it? I think that’s how the saying goes. I’ve been cooking up some ideas to revitalize the Uphill Factor and am almost ready to release a more comprehensive list of the services I’m offering and their rates. Gotta get this side business booming! And I already have another blog post in mind. Another ballroom villager’s recent post reminded me!
- Dance. Wait, what? That’s right. I still have my twice-a-week private lessons after work. Thank goodness. And soon we’re starting choreography for my “best of the best” routine at Ohio! Stay tuned, I’m considering releasing sneak peeks to my Patreon page.
- Dance. Yes, I know I already said that. But I need to remind myself that just because I’m not at the studio doesn’t mean I can’t dance. I’ve got space enough at home to break out some moves! Turn up the radio, let’s party!
- Watch dance. So You Think You Can Dance is on TV now. And I have a bunch of old musicals in my DVD collection that I haven’t watched in awhile. Maybe this month calls for some relaxing nights of tea (or wine) and dance spectating.
- Puppy love. My boys could go on a 5-mile hike, take a 20-minute nap, and be ready for another 5 miles. It’s hard to wear out two german shepherd/husky mixes! But now I have more evening time to do it. And I’m pretty sure walking and playing with my dogs counts as more exercise! Wow, it’s starting to sound like a lot, maybe I should cut back…
- Stretch. This I’ve been slacking on. I need to step it up. I bought a stretching band, now I gotta use it! I can stretch while I watch dancing! All these exclamation points make me sound a lot more motivated to do this than I actually am. I’m still working on my discipline. I spend a lot more time thinking about stretching than actually doing it. But I’ll get there.
That seems like a pretty decent list. Now when I start to feel myself sinking because I’m missing my second home, I can pull up this post.
What about you? What do you do when you can’t do whatever you’re passionate about? Share in the comments!